At Anchor Legal Group, PLLC, we are committed to providing experienced legal guidance to our clients in Newport News, Virginia. Newport News is part of the Hampton Roads region and home to many communities and neighborhoods. Dangerous truck accidents can happen at any time in Newport News. Our dedicated Newport News truck accident lawyers help injured victims and their families fight for justice and compensation.
Many residents work at Newport News Shipbuilding, one of the city’s many military bases and suppliers. Newport News has an extensive transportation network, including interstate and state highways, bridges, miles of docks, and port facilities. Negligent truck drivers, trucking companies, manufacturers, and third parties can all cause crashes. If you or someone you love was injured in a truck accident, Anchor Legal Group, PLLC is here to help.
What Types of Truck Accident Cases Does Anchor Legal Group, PLLC Handle?
Truck accidents are a leading cause of severe and fatal traffic accident injuries in the country. Virginia roads see many deadly crashes that involve at least one large commercial truck. If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident, our firm has the knowledge and resources to face up against insurance companies and large corporations.
Our lawyers handle a variety of truck accident cases, including but not limited to:
- Rear-end collisions: Rear-end collisions are one of the most common types of accidents and can be much more severe when a large tractor-trailer or big rig is involved. When a large truck slams into a car, it can cause severe injuries to the driver and passengers of the smaller vehicle. Frequently, these accidents are caused by fatigued or distracted truck drivers or drivers under the influence.
- Jackknife accidents: Jackknifing accidents happen when a truck’s trailer swings out at an angle and crashes into other vehicles on the road. Speeding, sudden braking, or turning too quickly can cause serious jackknife accidents. Pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists are also at risk of injury when truck drivers are negligent or reckless.
- Head-on collisions: Head-on collisions that involve large, heavy trucks usually have catastrophic outcomes. These accidents are usually caused by a speeding truck driver, driver impairment, poor visibility, or a driver’s medical issues. Victims in head-on collisions typically have severe or life-threatening injuries.
- T-bone accidents: T-bone accidents occur when two vehicles crash into each other perpendicularly. When a truck driver runs a red light or fails to obey other traffic laws, it can cause a high-impact crash and seriously injure the smaller vehicle’s occupants. Broken bones and fractures, concussions, or other head trauma can all result from T-bone accidents.
- Rollover accidents: Rollover accidents cause extreme hazards when truck drivers lose control of their large vehicles. Speeding and taking turns too sharply can cause heavy trucks to roll over and slide down the road. When a rollover accident drags down other vehicles, it can lead to severe or fatal injuries.
- Tire blowouts: Another way a truck driver can completely lose control of their vehicle is if one of its massive tires blows out. Tire blowout accidents can cause flying road debris, loosened loads, and other hazards for drivers, motorcyclists, and pedestrians.
- Underride accidents: These dangerous accidents occur when a smaller vehicle travels underneath the body of a large truck. Commercial trucking companies should always follow safety regulations; however, many neglect to equip their trucks with reflective tape and bumpers to help prevent a tragic accident.
- Blind spots: Truck drivers must adjust to their blind spots, which are much bigger than those of smaller vehicles. Other vehicles are at risk of getting hit, crushed, or forced off the road by truck drivers who are unable to see them. When a truck driver’s blind spot causes a sideswipe accident or forces another vehicle into oncoming traffic, serious injuries may occur.
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident in Newport News?
The first few moments after a traffic crash can be overwhelming, especially when serious injuries are involved. Your health and safety are paramount after a truck accident. The first step is seeking immediate medical attention, even if you have no apparent injuries.
The next steps you should follow if you are involved in a Newport News truck accident include:
- Call 911 so that police and emergency responders are brought to the scene.
- Keep copies of all reports and documentation of medical treatment.
- If your car is in the line of traffic or other hazardous position, move it to a place of safety if possible.
- Do not admit guilt or apologize.
- Take pictures of skid marks, traffic lights or road signage, vehicle damage, and physical injuries.
- Exchange vital information with the other driver and any eyewitnesses.
- Contact a skilled Newport News truck accident lawyer as soon as possible.
What Is the Value of My Truck Accident Claim?
Each case is unique, which makes it difficult to calculate the exact value of every claim. An experienced truck accident lawyer can help determine the value of your claim while considering the circumstances of your case.
The value of your truck accident claim depends on multiple factors, such as:
- Age and health at the time of the crash
- Identity of at-fault defendants
- Available insurance coverage
- Nature and extent of injuries
- Whether there is a partial or permanent disability
- Need for ongoing medical care
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Level of change in daily life
- Degree of pain and suffering
How Long Do I Have to File a Truck Accident Claim?
The statute of limitations to file a personal injury claim in Virginia is two years from the date the accident and injury occurred.
In wrongful death cases, the two-year time period begins on the date of the death, which may be later than the date of the accident. If you or a loved one was involved in a crash, contact a truck accident lawyer to start the claims process as soon as possible in pursuit of compensation.
How Can a Lawyer Help Me With My Truck Accident Case?
Truck accident cases can be complex and frequently involve multiple parties and insurance claims. In many cases, they also involve severe injuries and significant damages. It is essential to take immediate action to preserve crucial evidence and protect your rights. A skilled truck accident lawyer who can guide you through the process and ensure your best interests are represented at every step.
Our experienced truck accident lawyers can help with your case in the following ways:
- Our attorneys know the relevant laws and trucking industry regulations at the core of commercial truck accident cases.
- Our truck accident lawyers know the common causes of crashes and who may be responsible.
- Our team can investigate the accident site, interview eyewitnesses, review accident reports and medical records, and consult with medical experts.
- We can handle all phone calls and written correspondences with insurance companies, opposing counsel, and other representatives.
- When multiple claims are involved, we can take care of all discovery requests, identify liable parties, and file claims within the statutes of limitations.
- We can gather the data and evidence needed to prove liability and negligence in your case.
- Our lawyers can help hold truck drivers, trucking companies, and other large corporations accountable.
- We can help calculate your compensation for your injuries, factoring in current and future medical expenses, physical therapy, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional trauma.
What Types of Compensation Can I Get After a Truck Accident?
The types of compensation you may recover after a truck crash depend on the accident details and the nature of your injuries. A skilled lawyer can fight for the full range of compensation you deserve in your case.
You may be eligible for compensation to cover the following:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- Ongoing home care
- Home modification and medical devices
- Physical and other therapies
- Mental health treatment
- Property repair
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Punitive damages
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident in Newport News, our legal team is here to help.
Our Newport News Truck Accident Lawyers at Anchor Legal Group, PLLC Can Help You Get Justice
Our Newport News truck accident lawyers at Anchor Legal Group, PLLC handle complex truck accident cases. Call us at 757-LAW-0000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Virginia Beach, we serve clients in Chesapeake, Norfolk, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, and Eastern Shore, Virginia.